The History of Heinzel Pöls
The origins of Heinzel Pöls date back to around the year 1700. Since this time, the production site has frequently changed in order to fulfill the technological, economic and ecological demands of the times.
Today, Pöls is technically as well as ecologically one of the most up-to-date plants in the world.
Built with an investment volume of 130 million euros in a construction time of 17 months, the new PM3 can produce 100,000 metric tons of kraft paper per year. The new machine increases the total paper production capacity of the Styrian plant to 200,000 metric tons per year, making Heinzel Pöls one of the globally leading manufacturers of white kraft paper.
Winner of the Austrian Award for Climate Protection
Start-up of the new Papermachine 2
Start-up of district heating, tall oil plant and steam turbine
Start of construction works of a new steam turbine (DT4).
Construction of a new 110 KV power line.
A new impregnation tower for wood chips starts (Impbin).
Installation of a new container tipping facility.
New lime kiln with caustification facility is put into operation.
Ground-breaking ceremony to expand capacity in line with the “Pöls 500+” development concept.
Acquisition of Zellstoff Pöls AG by Heinzel Group.
Start-up of the new recovery boiler No.II.
Conversion to ECF bleaching technology.
Construction of the biological wastewater purification plant.
Pöls acquired by Frantschach AG. Investments of EUR 145 million, which were used for refining biological waste-water treatment and the bleaching process, as well as installing a new boiler.
In 1984, an investment of approx. 250 million US $ helped to introduce the sulphate production process, raise capacity by 286 % and reduce the environmental load by 766 %. Pöls was a pioneer in using oxygen to delignify pulp and reduce chlorine in bleaching by 50 %.
Installation of the first pulp bleaching facility in Pöls.
In 1921, Luigi Burgo & Son, the Italian papermakers from Verzuolo, acquired the mill at a time when financial disaster was looming. They were to become the saviours of Pöls. The mill was modernized, and Cartiere Burgo SpA remained a reliable partner who bought pulp even at economically difficult times.
Start-up of the first industrial paper machine in Pöls.
Start of industrial pulp production in Pöls.
Ferdinand Fürst Schwarzenberg launches the Reifensteiner Paper Mill east of Pöls, directly below Reifenstein Castle.
Beginning of Austrian paper production. Paper mills frequently replace hammer mills.